October 10, 2019 | 8:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Cleveland Medical Center, Rainbow Amphitheater
Sara Vaezy, Chief Digital Strategy Officer, Providence St. Joseph Health;
Linda Finkel, President, AVIA
WHAT IS INNOVATION DAY?
Started in 2008, University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital recognized the opportunity to create to create a formal program for improving pediatric care. With the intent of harboring innovation and developing employee ideas on improving pediatric care, the First Annual Pediatric Innovation Day was developed. This mission was further enhanced in 2013 with the generous support of the Belcher and Weir families to create the Belcher-Weir Families Pediatric Innovation Day.
Now in its eleventh year and growing stronger every year, Pediatrics & Women’s Health Innovation Day has grown to include a keynote from a nationally renowned speaker, pitches from some of the most cutting edge startups, and recognition of the innovators within Pediatrics and Women’s Health that are committed to advancing patient care to new limits. This year, Innovation Day is looking for University Hospitals employees who have an idea that fall within the categories of (1) Culture of Care: Magnification, Unification, and Translation; (2) Improving Hospital Productivity; and Clinical Tools: Pediatrics & Women’s Health (medical devices, diagnostics, health IT) that can improve the outcomes of our patients. These focus areas are described in more detail below.
Sara Vaezy is the Chief Digital Strategy and Business Development Officer at Providence St. Joseph Health. Sara leads the development of the digital strategy and roadmap, digital partnerships with health systems and technology companies, commercialization and business development, technology evaluation and pilots, and digital thought leadership at PSJH. Prior to PSJH, she worked for The Chartis Group, a healthcare management consulting firm, where she focused on enterprise strategic planning, payer-provider partnerships, and the development of population health companies.
Linda Finkel is President of AVIA, the nation’s leading network of health systems and enterprises committed to the transformation of healthcare. Linda is an experienced business leader with more than 20 years running successful companies in the healthcare, technology and services sectors. In 2014, Linda joined AVIA as President—and the 8th team member— and has led the business to its current stature as an industry-leading innovator, influential market maker and a team of almost 100. As a healthcare innovator, she has collaborated with health systems, payers, health IT entrepreneurs, and others to unlock the power of innovative care solutions, digital capabilities, and alternative payment models to improve health and healthcare in the US.
INNOVATION DAY AGENDA
8:00 – 8:05am: Introduction & Welcome: Patti DePompei, President, UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospitals, and MacDonald Women’s Hospital
8:30 – 9:00am: Keynote Address by Sara Vaezy, Chief Digital Strategy Officer, Providence St. Joseph
9:00 – 9:30am: Meet & Greet in Rainbow Community Room
9:30 – 12:00pm: Breakout Meetings at UH Ventures (1570 Lakeside)
12:00 – 12:20pm: Keynote Address by Linda Finkel, President, AVIA
12:20 – 1:00pm: Innovation Competition Announcement & Presentations
The deadline to send ideas has passed. The winners will be announced in the afternoon Innovation Day session. Hope to see you there!
The top three submissions will receive $5,000 to further develop, protect, commercialize and implement their idea and the opportunity to present their idea at the 11th Annual Belcher-Weir Family Pediatric Innovation Day on October 10th. Ideas can be submitted which are in any level of development, and do not need to be long, complex or fully developed. All submitted ideas will be reviewed by UH Ventures and our hospital leaders and the top ideas will be awarded with funds to help further develop the proposed idea.
2019 INNOVATION DAY FOCUS AREAS
The below themes have been identified as distinct areas of opportunities for innovation at Rainbow. We ask that all ideas align to one of the below focus areas.
- Culture of Care: Magnification, Unification, & Translation: One of the hospital’s strategic goals is to magnify the cultures of the women and children’s service lines at UH. To this end, how might we use innovative mechanisms to identify the unique strengths of these services? How might we unify these assets into a culture that current and future patients will seek for a differentiated care experience? And finally, how might we translate our distinct culture to our everyday interactions with our patients?
- Improving Hospital Productivity: For much of healthcare, increasing productivity is associated with working at unsustainable levels. What has often been overlooked is the use of better processes and technologies to improve the ways we deliver effective and efficient care with a fully engaged workforce. As described in Health Affairs earlier this year, Dr. Peter Pronovost, Chief Clinical Transformation Officer at UH identified the following areas as particularly ripe for innovation to improve productivity: (1) Managing the Last Feet of the Supply Chain; (2) Converting Human Double Check of Medications to Electronic; (3) Eliminating False Alarms, (4) Minimizing Human Documentation; and (5) Decreasing Time to Submit and Process Claims. How might we identify and execute on the opportunities to drive productivity in our hospitals?
- Clinical Tools : Pediatrics & Women’s Health: Better patient outcomes has always the primary goal of Rainbow and MacDonald. How might we develop new ways to prevent, diagnose, and treat conditions in our patient population? This can be an improvement to a pre-existing treatment method, the development of a new device or tool, or simply a new way to better care for women and our smallest patients.
STRENGTHEN YOUR 2019 SUBMISSION BY USING THESE RESOURCES
Below are a few tools that the UH Ventures team created to help your innovation submission stand out from the rest. You can find all of our resources here.
- UH Ventures Health Voyagers Podcast Series: 3 Tips for Making your Innovation Submission Stand Out. LISTEN
- UH Ventures Innovation Handbooks: Sharing your Idea with UH Ventures. DOWNLOAD
Need help? Contact one of the following UH Ventures team members or our general email address at Ideas@UHhospitals.org.
Kip Lee, Managing Director, UH Ventures
Matthew Zenker, Lead Innovation Strategist