Our Fall Innovation Programs are now open for submission. Submit your idea below by September 30!
UH has a rich legacy of innovation and discovery, pioneering some of health care’s most impactful advances such as perfecting the use of nitrous oxide-oxygen anesthesia in the early 1900’s, developing a revolutionary nutritional formula for infant care, and finding surgical solutions for coronary artery disease that became the forerunner to bypass surgery.
These innovations over the years started with simply an idea, then often matured into prototypes and pilots, testing and then even became products or implement as ion or clinical trials.
Through the support of philanthropy and State grants, UH has three pathways to fund your innovative ideas:
FEUER INNOVATION ACCELERATOR
A unique gift from Michael and Ellen Feuer has established the Feuer Innovation Accelerator fund at UH, which will be used to support the most promising ideas with the highest potential for impact on healthcare delivery and research. Through this mechanism, projects will have the opportunity to advance from ideation to potential implementation. Dr. Cliff Megerian, CEO, will determine awardees based on recommendations from a multi-disciplinary UH Ventures team for agile decision-making and strategic growth.
Types of ideas:
- Patient Experience and Consumerism
- Process Improvement
- Products and Services
UH Ventures and UH Research and Education Institute are pleased to announce a new funding opportunity to highlight and develop promising new medical device concepts submitted by employees of UH. The funding aim for Medtech Flyers is to identify and award technology development resources for the most promising device concepts at the earliest idea and prototype stages.
- Funding amounts will range from $5,000 up to $25,000 and will be used for market validation, concept refinement, or early prototyping depending on the stage of the technology.
TECHNOLOGY VALIDATION & STARTUP FUND
University Hospitals received a grant of up to $500,000 from Ohio’s Third Frontier program to create the University Hospitals Technology Validation and Startup Fund (UH-TVSF). Third Frontier funds are matched by UH Ventures providing the UH-TVSF with a $1 million grant dedicated to de-risk and advance new innovative technologies and products originating within UHHS. The goal of the program is to license the de-risked technologies to an Ohio start-up Company for commercialization.
- Awards will be made in the amount of $75,000 – $150,000 and must be used toward validation activities of technologies that are beyond proof-of-concept.
- Technologies can be in the field of technologies in the categories of medical devices, medical diagnostics, healthcare IT, and healthcare solutions/services. UH-TVSF does not typically invest in life science technologies.
UH Ventures is managing a variety of different programs and funding mechanisms. If you have an idea, invention, or just want to learn more about innovation and commercialization, please visit the UH Ventures website, or reach out to email@example.com.
STRENGTHEN YOUR 2021 SUBMISSION BY USING THESE RESOURCES
Below are a few tools that the UH Ventures team created to help your innovation submission stand out from the rest. You can find all of our resources here.
- UH Ventures Health Voyagers Podcast Series: 3 Tips for Making your Innovation Submission Stand Out. LISTEN
- UH Ventures Innovation Handbooks: Sharing your Idea with UH Ventures. DOWNLOAD
Need help? Contact one of the following UH Ventures team members or our general email address at Ideas@UHhospitals.org.
Ryan Allison, Portfolio Manager, UH Ventures
Patricia Colella, Innovation Strategist, UH Ventures